Jackson Jills Alumnae Association
Founded in 1963, the Jackson Jills is Tufts’ oldest all-female a cappella group. The Jills were named after Jackson College for Women, which was, in turn, named after Cornelia Maria Jackson, who bequeathed funds to Tufts to “remove the disabilities of women.” In her name, Jackson College was founded in 1910 as a coordinate college to Tufts, offering equal education to women at Tufts University.
The Jills were founded under similar premises: to offer women an opportunity to share community, music, fun, and support through a love of art and song. Over the course of 50 years, the group has taken on an even larger identity: to teach confidence, team-building, cooperation, leadership and, of course, music and song to women as they are becoming active, independent adults.
Our alumnae now number in the hundreds, and we maintain an active group who continue to support each other as friends and women through networking, music-sharing, and social opportunities.