Tufts University Board of Trustees

The Board of Trustees is the ultimate governing authority of Tufts University. Alumni Trustees, who are elected by alumni ballot, comprise 25% of the Board. The other 75% are Charter Trustees, who are appointed by the Board. Alumni Trustees and Charter Trustees are equal in responsibility and influence.

The Board’s responsibilities include:

  • Appointment of the President and establishment of conditions of employment for the President and key officers.
  • Review and approval of the University's mission and purposes, as well as proposed major changes in programs and major enterprises.
  • Approval of policies on faculty appointment, promotion, tenure, and dismissal.
  • Approval of the annual budget and tuition, and monitoring of the university's financial condition.
  • Authorization of new construction, renovation, and upkeep.
  • Approval of all earned and honorary degrees.

For a listing and bios of all current members of the Tufts Board of Trustees, please visit the Office of the Trustees website.

Alumni Trustees

Tufts alumni elect 10 alumni to the Tufts University Board of Trustees, two each year to serve five-year terms.

All alumni from all the schools and programs of Tufts (the alumni body) are eligible to vote for a first five-year term for candidates to serve on the University’s Board of Trustees (these trustees are referred to as Alumni Trustees).

Alumni Trustees who were elected by the alumni body and have served a five-year term on the University’s Board and who wish to serve a second and final five-year term need to be endorsed by the Board, nominated by the Nominating Committee of the Alumni Council, which is the elected leadership of the alumni body, and voted on by the members of the Alumni Council at its annual meeting in the spring of each year.

The Alumni Trustees currently on the Tufts University Board of Trustees are:

Diana Lopez, J78
Term 2014 - 2015
David B. Rone, A84
Term 2010 - 2015
Betsy Busch, M75
Term 2011 – 2016
Ioannis Miaoulis, E83, G86, G87
Term 2011 - 2016
Robert Bendetson, A73
Term 2012 - 2017
John de Jong, A78, V85
Term 2012 – 2017
Brian H. Kavoogian, A84
Term 2013 - 2018
Elizabeth Cochary Gross, Ph.D., N82, NG88
Term 2013 -2018
Laurie Gabriel, J76
Term 2009 – 2014
Hugh R. Roome III, F77, AG74, FG80
Term 2014 – 2019

 

The passing of Alumni Trustee Sunny Breed, J66, AG 72 in December 2013 created a vacancy on the University’s Board. Since Sunny Breed was a first term Alumni Trustee and her replacement was to be elected by the alumni body, according to the by-laws of the Alumni Association, the Tufts Alumni Council’s Nominating Committee nominated the following candidates for election to complete the unfinished portion of late Alumni Trustee Sunny Breed:

  • Diana Villarnovo Lopez, J78, of Brooklyn, NY
  • Nihal W. Goonewardene, F73, MALD74, of Potomac, MD

Nearly 4700 alumni voted in the 2014 Alumni Elections in 2014 and Diana Lopez, J78, was elected.

Meet the Trustees elected/re-elected in 2013

Diana Lopez, J78, was elected to serve the remainder of the term of late Alumni Trustee Sunny Breed, J 66, AG72, through November 2015. Lopez has a B.A. from Tufts University and a J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center. She serves as Senior Advisor to the Executive Director of the The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey and has previously served in the New York State Government and the U.S. Department of State, as well as at the law firms of Skadden, Arps, and Debevoise & Plimpton. She is a Vice President of the Executive Committee of the Tufts University Alumni Association, a founding member of the Tufts New York Women’s Networking Group and a long time TAAP interviewer and chair.

Laurie Gabriel, J76, has been re-elected as an alumni trustee by the Tufts Alumni Council for a second, five-year term beginning in November 2014. Gabriel serves on the Administration and Finance committee and has served as Chair of the Investment Committee since November 2012. She also serves on the Arts & Sciences Board of Advisors.

Hugh Roome III AG74, F77, FG80, has been re-elected as an alumni trustee by the Tufts Alumni Council for a second, five-year term beginning in November 2014. Roome serves on the Administration and Finance, Audit, and Buildings and Grounds and Compensation Committees. He also serves Advisory Board of the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.