Election Information

Every year, the Tufts Alumni Association holds elections for Alumni Trustee and Alumni Council positions.

The Tufts University Alumni Association proudly announces the results of the 2014 elections. The 2014 election received the highest number of votes in the history of Tufts Alumni Elections, with 4,670 online votes and 16 votes by paper ballot. Overall, there were 4,686 votes in 2014, compared to 4,035 votes in 2013 and 3,568 votes in 2012.

Trustee Elections

Elected Trustee candidates are referred to as “Alumni Trustees” because they have been elected by alumni and sit on the Board of Trustees, which is the ultimate governing authority for the university. Alumni Trustees comprise 25% of the Board. The other 75% are “Charter Trustees,” who are appointed by the Board. In the fall, the Nominating Committee of the Tufts Alumni Council consults with the Trustees Office and various Tufts departments to identify potential Alumni Trustee candidates, and also invites the alumni body to submit nominations of potential candidates to be elected by the alumni body.

In winter 2013, two candidates were nominated by the Nominating Committee for election of one by the alumni body to the University’s board. The candidates for the election, held in March-April 2014 were Diana Villarnovo Lopez, J78, of Brooklyn, NY, and Nihal W. Goonewardene, F73, MALD74, of Potomac, MD.

Diana Villarnovo Lopez was elected as an Alumni Trustee.

Council Elections

In the 2014 election, ten candidates from the School of Arts, Sciences & Engineering, one candidate from the Graduate Programs in Arts, Sciences & Engineering, and one candidate from the Medical School were nominated for election to the Tufts Alumni Council. The Tufts Alumni Council serves as the governing body of the Tufts University Alumni Association, which includes all persons who have received a degree from any school or program of Tufts University, as well as those former students who pursued an approved course of study for at least one year.

The following candidates were elected by alumni of the School of Arts, Sciences & Engineering to serve five-year terms, July 1, 2014 – June 30, 2019 on the Council:

  • Randy L. Shapiro, J86 of New York, NY
  • Joann Elizabeth Flaminio, J78 of Providence, RI
  • Lumay Wang, A11 of Bethesda, MD
  • Timothy A. Nelson, E04, EG07 of San Francisco, CA
  • Sophia Michelen, A09 of Boston, MA
  • Irene Pallais, A06, of Metairie, LA
  • Kathryn Saville, A07 of Boston, MA
  • Christopher J. Valente, A05 of Dorchester, MA

Alumni from the Graduate Programs in AS&E voted to elect Kaleigh Fitzpatrick, A08, AG11 to a five-year term, July 1, 2014 – June 30, 2019 (Boston, MA) on the Council. Alumni from the Medical School voted to elect Monica Kung, J00, MG02 (Manhattan Beach, CA) to a five-year term, July 1, 2014 – June 30, 2019 on the Council. Students of the Class of 2014 voted to elect the following members of their class to five-year terms, July 1, 2014 – June 30, 2019 on the Council:

  • Meagan Edmonds
  • Gavin Immer
  • Christie Maciejewski
  • Mitch Mosk

Executive Committee Members

The following alumni were elected by the Tufts Alumni Council to serve on the 2014-2015 Executive Committee of the Tufts University Alumni Association:

  • President: Kate Kaplan, G95, of Concord, MA
  • President-Elect: David Meyers, A96, of Washington, DC
  • Vice President: Diana Lopez, J78, of Brooklyn, NY
  • Vice President: Keshia Pollack, A00, of Baltimore, MD
  • Vice President: Regina Rockefeller, J73, of Lexington, MA
  • Vice President: Richard Yanofsky, J76, of Needham, MA
  • Director: Ken Fan, E01, F07, of Somerville, MA
  • Director: Mark Ferri, A84, F86, of Saugus, MA
  • Director: Vikki Garth, J81, of London, England
  • Director: Doug Moll, A85, D85, DG91, of Bedford, NH
  • Director: Jason Potts, A00, of Boston, MA
  • Director: Erwin Thompson, E02
  • Immediate Past President: Brian McCarthy, A75, of Los Angeles, CA

To all of our newly elected and re-elected alumni, for your outstanding commitment and service to the university, we thank you.