Tufts Service, M - Z
Donald Ross MacJannet, A16, H33, H79
1894-1986; Alum of Tufts College who donated the Talloires Priory to Tufts
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: A.B., French literature, 1916; H.M.A., 1933; H.L.H.D., 1979
Other Degrees: University of Paris at Sorbonne
Awards & Honors: French Legion of Honor, 1932
Biography: Donald Ross MacJannet was a benefactor of Tufts University and an educator who established his own international schools and camps. His greatest gift to the institution was the property in Talloires, France, which the university uses as the European Center.
In 1923, Mr. MacJannet founded a school just outside of Paris in St. Cloud, known as the MacJannet School for Young Americans. He opened a second school in Paris and acquired some land in Taillores the following year. There he started two camps, one for girls and the other for boys, which attracted an international clientele, spreading his reputation as an educator throughout the world. Some of his notable campers and students include Prince Phillip of Great Britain, Indira Ghandi, the late Prime Minister of India, and Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart. His schools operated for seventeen years, closing in the early 1940s. In 1944, Tufts president Leonard Carmichael called on the Mr. MacJannet and his wife to help consolidate the college's dental and medical schools in the new Harrison Avenue, Boston campus.
The MacJannets purchased an eleventh century Benedictine priory in Talloires France in 1958. Mr. MacJannnet restored the building for use as an educational facility, using it for twenty years as a center to house educational and cultural events. In 1979, the MacJannets turned the property over to Tufts University, which established its European campus and conference center on the premises.
Tufts Degrees: B.S., 1911
Biography: Elmore MacPhie was a life trustee and benefactor of Tufts University and a pioneer in the plywood industry. He and his wife, Etta Phillips MacPhie, a trustee emeritus of Tufts, were always active and interested in the welfare of Tufts and its students. Mr. MacPhie had a long career as a plywood magnate in Lowell, MA. From 1935 until the time of his death, he was president and director of the Atlas Corporation. He also served as an officer of many other enterprises across the country during his distinguished career.
In 1931, Mr. MacPhie was elected an alumni trustee of Tufts, and, in 1948, was selected to become a life trustee. He was recipient of the Distinguished Service Award the same year. Mr. MacPhie became the senior ranking member of the Finance Committee, having served on it throughout his 24-year membership on the Board. For a number of years, Mr. MacPhie also sat on the Committee of Visitors of the Tufts Engineering School. He also was the permanent reunion chairman of the class of 1911. MacPhie Dining Hall on the Medford campus, built in 1962, was named in honor of Mr. MacPhie and his wife, Etta.
Etta Marion Phillips MacPhie, J1913, H76
1891-1978; First Jackson College graduate to serve as Trustee of Tufts University
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: A.B., 1913, H.D.H.L., 1976
Awards & Honors: Distinguished Service Award, Tufts University Alumni Association, 1952 and 1972.
Biography: Etta Phillips MacPhie was elected a Trustee Emeritus in 1974, having served on the Board of Trustees of Tufts University for 19 years. Known to some as "Mrs. Tufts," MacPhie was, according to President Mayer, "the best possible kind of friend that any institution could have."
As an undergraduate, she was a member of Alpha Omicron Pi sorority. She financed her college education by reading for Professor Edwin Bolles. Her work with this blind faculty member first sparked Mrs. MacPhie's interest in working with the visually impaired. Graduating in 1913, Mrs. MacPhie taught high school in Lowell for two years. In 1915, she married Elmore I. MacPhie, A1911.
She continued her work in support of the blind following graduation, helping to found the National Braille Press and organize the Lowell Association for the Blind. She also served on the corporation of the PerkinsSchoolfor the Blind, and on the executive committee of the Massachusetts Association for the Blind. In 1955, following the death of her husband, MacPhie was elected to the Board of Trustees of Tufts University, having the distinction of being the first graduate of Jackson College to hold such a position. She also joined the Tufts Alumni Council in 1949. In 1974, she stepped down from the Board, retaining the title Trustee Emeritus.
In 1970, when the Tufts student body boycotted the traditional commencement and organized their own ceremony the following day, Mrs. MacPhie attended the event, talking with students and listening to their antiwar music. She was disappointed by the choice they had made to skip commencement the previous day, but she wanted to share the occasion with them and was welcomed by class members.
MacPhie Dining Hall, built in 1962, was named for Etta and her husband, Elmore MacPhie.
Tufts Degrees: A.B., 1906; A.M., 1907, LL.D., 1941
Awards & Honors: Dean Emeritus, Tufts University
Biography: George Stewart Miller served as government professor at Tufts College for forty years, from 1916 to 1956. Mr. Miller worked as a government professor at Tufts from 1916 to 1956, and as chairman of the Department of Government from 1939 to 1956.
Concurrently, Miller served as the secretary to the president of Tufts from 1916 to 1919, and as assistant to the president from 1919 to 1937. From 1937 to 1938, he served as acting president of Tufts. Subsequently, he served as vice-president and Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences from 1939 to 1951, and Dean of Administration for Tufts from 1951 to 1956. Upon his retirement as Dean of Administration, he was awarded the distinction of Dean Emeritus. Additionally, he was elected president of the Tufts Alumni Association, and served in that role from 1954 to 1960.
Throughout his career at Tufts, he advocated for the establishment of faculty pensions and retirement ages, as well as the protection of faculty dissenters during war time. Miller Hall, a dormitory on the Medford campus, is named in his honor.
Tufts Degrees: B.A., 1911; H.MA, 1956
Biography: The case of Joseph W. Morton can be used to illustrate the changes that had taken place between the 1930's and the early 1950's. One of the busiest persons when Carmichael became president, Morton figuratively wore a whole rack of hats later parceled out among half a dozen or more different individuals. In 1938-39, he was secretary of the Alumni Council and of the Association and all of its committees, treasurer of the Tuftonian, responsible as managing editor for five issues each year of the College catalogue, editor of the Alumni Bulletin, keeper of alumni records and the alumni mailing service, in charge of the weekly official College Calendar, and supervisor of the student-manned College news bureau.
Frederick C. Nelson, E54
1933 - 2009; Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering and Dean of Tufts School of Engineering
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1954
Other Degrees: Ph.D., Applied Mechanics, Harvard University, 1955
Awards & Honors: Centennial Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers; King Seijong Medal, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology; Anniversary Medal of INSA de Lyon; Distinguished Service Medal, Tufts University; Career Achievement Award, Mechanical Engineering department at Tufts.
Biography: Frederick C. Nelson, E54, was a professor of mechanical engineering emeritus and a former dean of Tufts School of Engineering.
His long affiliation with Tufts University began when he joined the faculty in 1955, while he was pursuing his Ph.D. in applied mechanics at Harvard University. In 1969, Nelson was named chair of the department of mechanical engineering in 1969 and professor of mechanical engineering in 1971. Dr. Nelson modernized the engineering school and its curriculum during his tenure as dean from 1980 to 1994, renovating Bray Lab for the mechanical engineers, replacing the environmental labs for the civil engineers, revamping Halligan Hall for the electrical engineers and moving the chemical engineering department into the new Science and Technology Center. He also was involved in establishing technology centers in electro-optics and biotechnology, which gave the school a national reputation in research. After his 14-year tenure as dean, he returned to the mechanical engineering faculty, retiring in 2007.
After he left the dean's post, alumni funded the construction of the Nelson Auditorium in Anderson Hall in his honor. He also established and administered the student exchange program between Tufts and INSA (Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon) in France, which continues to this day.
Nelson was a fellow of the Acoustical Society of America, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He was a recipient of the Centennial Medal of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the King Seijong Medal of the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, the Anniversary Medal of INSA de Lyon, the Distinguished Service Medal of Tufts University, and the Career Achievement Award of the mechanical engineering department at Tufts.
Nelson was a fellow of the Acoustical Society of America, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Joel Warren Reynolds, E23, H48
1902-1977; President of the Tufts University Alumni Association and Trustee Emeritus
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1923; H.M.S., 1948
Awards & Honors: Presidential Medal, Tufts University 1978; Distinguished Service Award, Tufts University Alumni Council, 1948
Biography: Joel Warren Reynolds was a successful businessman who devoted much of his time to Tufts University. Mr. Reynolds was very active in the alumni organizations at Tufts, serving as president of the Tufts University Alumni Association from 1942-1954 and as the chair of the Tufts Alumni Council. He was also selected Trustee, serving for almost three decades from 1949 to 1977 prior to being nominated trustee emeritus. Mr. Reynolds was also the president of Walnut Hill Properties, a real estate company that to this day, works in conjunction with the Tufts Residential life and learning office, renting apartments to Tufts students on the hill. Mr. Reynolds was also an active member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity, serving for five decades in various positions, including presidency of the Tufts chapter and presidency of the fraternity nationally.
Maurice S. Segal, A28, M34
1908-1988; Professor Emeritus at the Tufts School of Medicine
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: B.S., Biology, 1928; M.D., 1934
Biography: Maurice S. Segal was a professor emeritus at Tufts University School of Medicine and was a prominent researcher in lung disease. Dr. Segal established the Tufts Lung Station in 1946, one of the nation's first centers for respiratory care and research. Every four years, Tufts University School of Medicine and the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy co-sponsor the Segal Lecture Series. This lecture series was established in 1989 to honor Dr. Segal. Dr. Segal maintained a long-standing interest in issues of international cooperation in the area of health and the training of health professionals as exemplified by the establishment at Tufts of the Dr. Maurice S. Segal Pulmonary Fellowship Program for Advanced Training. His contribution to the teaching of students and research activities at TUSM spanned a period of forty years and led to his election as Professor Emeritus in 1973.
Tufts Degrees: B.S., 1956; D.M.D., 1960
Awards & Honors: Distinguished Service Award, Tufts University; Dean’s Medal, Tufts School of Dental Medicine, 2000.
Biography: Dr. William W. Sellers is dentist in private practice in Reading, Massachusetts, and he has served in various capacities on the Board of Trustees and Overseers at Tufts. He was elected Alumni Trustee of Tufts in 1985 and became a Charter Trustee in 1990. He has been a member of the Academic Affairs Committee for 13 years and served a term as Chair from 1997 to 2000. His interest in student-life issues led him to chair the Board of Overseers for Student Life from 1989 to 1994. In 1993, he also headed a committee created by the Board of Trustees to look into the faculty recommendations for changes in the fraternity system. His other Tufts affiliations include the Tufts Dental Alumni Association and the Jumbo Club. Dr. Sellers has been a member of the Board of Overseers to the Dental School since 1986 and has served as its chair. He has also been a part-time instructor at the Dental School for over ten years. A trustee and former president of the Massachusetts Dental Society, he was delegate to the American Dental Association and is a member of the American College of Dentists, the American Academy of Dental Science, the Academy of General Dentistry, and Omicron Kappa Upsilon, the dental honor society.
Albert Warren Stearns, A1906, M1910, H43
1885-1959; First Tufts Alumnus to serve as the dean of Tufts College Medical School
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: A.B., 1906; M.D., 1910, H.Sc.D., 1943
Biography: Albert Warren Stearns served as the seventh Dean of the Tufts College Medical School from 1927 to 1935. After receiving his Bachelor’s degree from Tufts College in 1906, Dr. Stearns decided to attend Tufts Medical School, expressing interest in the neurological sciences. He received his medical degree in 1910 and in 1911; he became a resident at Danvers State Hospital, moving the following year to Boston State Hospital. By 1913, Stearns was practicing neurology and psychiatry and, from 1923 to 1927, served as consultant to the US Naval Hospital in Chelsea, MA. He returned to the Medical School in 1927 as a professor of psychiatry and dean of the school, a position he held until 1945, which is when Dr. Stearns became a professor and chairman of the Department of Sociology in Arts and Sciences for ten years. He held prominent positions in several psychiatric and medical organizations. He authored a number of works, including "Personality of Criminals," published in 1932.
James A. Stern, E72
Chair of the Board of Trustees; Chairman and Founder of The Cypress Group
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degree: BSCE, Engineering, 1972
Other Degree: MBA, Harvard University, 1974
Biography:James Stern is Chairman and Founder of The Cypress Group, a New York based private equity firm. Prior to founding The Cypress Group in 1994, Mr. Stern had a twenty-year career with Lehman Brothers. In 1982 he was named Managing Director with responsibility for Lehman’s corporate financing activities. In 1988, he joined the firm’s management committee and became co-head of investment banking. He was named head of merchant banking in 1989. Mr. Stern served on the board of directors of a number of corporations, including WESCO International, Inc., Lear Corporation, and Affinia Corporation. He is also a board member of several charitable and philanthropic organizations, including the Jewish Museum and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Mr. Stern was first elected to the Tufts University Board of Trustees in 1982. He has served as Vice Chair of the Board, chair of the Committee for University Advancement, co-chair of Tufts Tomorrow (a successful $600 million capital campaign), chair of the Investment Committee, and member of the Executive Committee before his election as Chair of the Board of Trustees in November 2003.
Harold E. Sweet, A1898, H55
1877-1962; President of the Board of Trustees and Recipient of the Ballou Medal
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: B.A., 1898; LL.D., 1955
Biography: Harold E. Sweet served the college as president of the Board of Trustees for twenty-six years beginning in 1923. In 1950, he was a recipient of the Ballou Medal, the highest honor bestowed upon a Tufts graduate.
While an undergraduate, Sweet held the positions of junior class president and charter president of the Tower Cross, the senior honor society. He also acted as the manager of the varsity football team. Soon after graduating with honorable mention in German and philosophy, he went to work as a bench hand at R.F. Simmons and Co, where he eventually became president.
In his early twenties, Sweet became director of the First National Bank of Attleboro and later assumed the role of president of the institution. He also served as chairman of the board of Sturdy Memorial Hospital. Sweet was elected to be the first mayor of Attleboro, Massachusetts, serving from 1915 to 1919, after the town changed to a city form of government. He had previously been a member of Attleboro's school and town finance committees. Harold E. Sweet Hall, built in 1952 to house the Air Force and Navy ROTC programs, was named in his honor. It was demolished in 1998 to make way for Dowling Hall.
Arthur A. Thibodeau, A29, M32
1906 – 1997; Surgeon-in-chief at the Tufts New England Medical Center
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: B.S., 1929; M.D., 1932
Biography: Arthur A. Thibodeau was the surgeon-in-chief at Tufts New England Medical Center and professor of orthopedic surgery at Tufts University. Dr. Thibodeau, an expert on the management of spine problems was chair of the orthopedic division from 1965 to 1970, introduced an orthopedic residency at both the Tufts New England Medical Center and the Boston Veterans Administration Medical Center. He was also responsible for training generations of clinically oriented orthopedic surgeons at the Tufts Medical School.
Robert Wesselhoeft , F91
1944-2007; Pioneer of family medicine, who established the department of family medicine at the Tufts School of Medicine
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: M.A., International Relations, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
Other Degrees: B.A., Political Science, Brown University, 1966; M.D., Boston Unversity, 1977; M.A., Public Health, Johns Hopkins
Biography: Dr Wesselhoeft was a dedicated pioneer of family medicine for more than 25 years, in Boston and at Tufts University School of Medicine. Starting in the early 1980s, he sought to develop an academic home for family medicine that would emphasize patient-centered care and humanistic values, and would encourage medical students to choose primary care careers. With determination he successfully expanded the role of family medicine by establishing academic Family Medicine at Tufts University Medical School in 1995, and subsequently becoming the school's first chief of family medicine.
For many years, Dr. Wesselhoeft served as a Physician and Medical Director at the Boston Evening Medical Center-MGH in Back Bay for 19 years, with as many as 2,000 patients under his care. Between 1989 and 1998, he was medical director of the center. His international health experience led him to clerkships in Scotland and Zululand, South Africa and finally to a family clinic located in the little town of Owaka on New Zealand’s South Island. He was a deep admirer of Albert Schweitzer, particularly of his work in Lambarene, South Africa.