Tufts Service, A - E
Arthur J. Anderson, E12, H43
1889-1964; Trustee of Tufts University and Chairman of the Tufts Alumni Council
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: B.S., Structural Engineering, 1912; H.M.A., 1943
Awards & Honors: Alumni Association Distinguished Service Award, Tufts University, 1941; Knighted and joined the Royal Order of Vasa, Sweden.
Biography: Arthur Anderson was known for his civic interest and his contributions to the Tufts community. Mr. Anderson served as a member of the Board of Trustees at Tufts University starting in 1943. In 1945 he was elected chairman of the executive committee and in 1949 he became the chairman of the Board of Trustees. He also served as the chairman of the Tufts University Alumni Council in 1938 and 1939. Mr. Anderson worked as an engineer with the Associated Factory Mutual Fire Insurance company, manager of the insurance department at the American Agricultural Chemical Company and partner at the Boston insurance firm O'Brion, Russsell and Co. He was Knighted in Sweden and served as consul for Sweden in New England. He was also VP of the World Trade Center of New England. In 1961 Tufts named Anderson Hall in his honor.
Tufts Degrees: B.A., 1895, H.M.A., 1909
Other Degrees: J.D., Boston University
Awards & Honors: Ballou Medal, 1949
Biography: Charles Neal Barney was a trustee of Tufts College from 1909 to 1921 and recipient of the Ballou Medal in 1949, which was awarded to him posthumously in 1949.
Mr. Barney was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, in 1876. He graduated from Tufts, Phi Beta Kappa, in 1895 and obtained his law degree from Boston University. He later returned to Tufts for further postgraduate study. After completing his studies, Barney was a lecturer at both Boston University Law School and Northeastern Law School. In 1906, he was elected mayor of Lynn for a one year term. Mr. Barney was also a Republican Presidential Elector in 1908. Mr. Barney served as chairman of the legal advisory committee for the draft board of his hometown during World War I.
In 1918, Mr. Barney joined the Worthington Pump and Machinery Corporation of New Jersey as chief counsel and secretary and was elected its vice-president and secretary in 1942. He was a member of the Society of Mayflower Descendents, the Newcomen Society, and Theta Delta Chi fraternity.
John K. Baronian, A50, H97
1921-2008; Long-time benefactor and Trustee of Tufts, whose devotion to the university earned him the nickname "Mr. Tufts"
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: B.A., Economics, 1950; Honorary Doctor of Commerce, 1997
Awards & Honors: Baronian Field House named in Mr. Baronian’s honor, 1986; Trustee Emeritus, Tufts University, 1982
Biography: Known as "Mr. Tufts" to the Tufts community, the former standout athlete and long-time benefactor of the university, John Baronian, was beloved for his service and devotion to Tufts. Mr. Baronian founded the Jumbo Club in support of Tufts athletics and the Baronian Field House on the Medford-Somerville campus is dedicated to Mr. Baronian.
Mr. Baronian was one of the Tufts football greats, becoming a star lineman, playing both offense and defense. Even today, Tufts bestows the Baronian Award to its best lineman of the year. Mr. Baronian was president of the Tufts University Alumni Association from 1970 to 1972 and chair of the Alumni Athletic Association. He served as a Trustee of Tufts for ten years from 1972 to 1982, after which he was made Trustee Emeritus. Mr. Baronian also received an honorary Doctor of Commerce degree in 1997.
Believing that his college education gave him a leg up on life from his humble origins as the son of refugee parents, he was always willing to help deserving students in their endeavors regardless of their backgrounds. He was an enduring presence on the Tufts campus, rubbing elbows with the president, deans, faculty members, students and staff workers.
Mr. Baronian is known in part for his extensive collection of more than 4,000 porcelain, glass, wood and bronze elephants amassed over a 50-year period of travels to Asia, Africa and Europe. The collection was donated to the university in 2003, and it is housed in the Alumni Relations office.
Allan D. Callow, A38, AG48, AG52, H87
Trustee and Distinguished Triple Alumnus of Tufts
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: B.S., Biology, 1938; M.S., 1948; Ph.D., Surgery, 1952; H.Sc.D., 1987
Other Degrees: M.D., Harvard Medical School, 1942
Awards & Honors: Distinguished Service Award, Tufts University Alumni Council, 1974
Biography: Dr. Callow devoted much of his professional life to institutions and causes that affected him personally. After serving in active duty from 1943-1947 in the Navy, Dr. Callow remained connected to the US Navy through the reserve corps, both in recruiting medical officers as well as training members of the program. In 1968, Dr. Callow was rewarded for his efforts by being promoted to Rear Admiral in the US Naval Reserve. His connection with Tufts is strong. He received three degrees at Tufts and taught at the medical school as an Associate Professor of Surgery until 1963. His wife and their daughter Elenor Magee were both graduates of Jackson College, and Dr. Callow’s son, A. Dana Callow, also a graduate of Tufts, is a trustee of the university. He was elected to the Tufts Alumni Council in 1966 and honored with their highest award in 1974. In the private sector, Dr. Callow attained the title of Associate Surgeon-in-Chief at New England Hospital. Dr Callow served as a chairman of the Board of Trustees at Tufts in addition to his contributions to the Second Century Capital Campaign. Dr. Callow was also a part of the presidential search committee in the 1970s, which resulted in the inauguration of Jean Mayer. As the chairman of the Board of Trustees, Dr. Callow steered the university through great successes and even some controversies, such as the opposition to the donation to Fletcher School from General Marcos of Indonesia. He considers his time as chair as one of the most fulfilling times in his life, as during that time the culture of Tufts changed in ways that it became one of today's leading and most sought after universities.
Tufts Degrees: A.B., 1860
Other Degrees: J.D., Harvard Law School
Biography: Elmer Hewitt Capen was the third president of Tufts, serving from 1875 to1905.
Mr. Capen graduated from Tufts in 1860, practiced law for a short time, and then became a Universalist minister. While still an undergraduate, Capen was elected to, and served in, the Massachusetts House of Representatives. He relinquished his seat after one term in order to finish his studies and graduate with his class.
Mr. Capen presided over the continued expansion of course and program offerings at Tufts, and the beginning of co-education in 1892. Tufts School of Medicine and School of Dental Medicine were also founded during Mr. Capen’s tenure.
The residence at 8 Professors Row, which Mr. Capen constructed for himself and his family while president, is still named Capen House and currently serves as the Africana Center and House.
Tufts Degrees: B.A., 1903
Other Degrees: LL.D., Lombard College; LL.D., St. Lawrence University
Biography: John Albert Cousens was the 6th president of Tufts College, serving from 1919 to 1937. While president he guided the College through the Great Depression and laid the groundwork for the eventual expansion of the College to its current international University status.
A Brookline native, Mr. Counsens received his B.A. from Tufts College in 1903. He became the Vice-President of the Metropolitan Coal Company of Boston and a Trustee of Tufts College in 1911. Mr. Cousens also served as a member of the Finance and Executive Committees. He became acting president of Tufts in 1919, followed by his 1920 appointment to president of the college. He is credited with having brought the college through the Depression years unharmed, and was instrumental in the establishment of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and the New England Medical Center. Mr. Cousens passed away while still in office in 1937. Cousens Gymnasium on the Medford Campus was named in his memory.
Henrietta Noble Brown Durkee, J1893, AG1895, AG1918
1871-1946; First Woman Graduate of Tufts University
Read full bio >>
Tufts Degrees: A.B., 1893; A.M., Chemistry, 1895; A.M., History, 1918
Biography: Mrs. Durkee was the first woman graduate of Tufts. She transferred from Boston University to matriculate with the first class of women in 1892 and received her degree from Tufts in 1893. She was the daughter of Professor Benjamin G. Brown, who joined the Tufts faculty in the early 1860s and served as Walker Professor of Mathematics until his death in 1903. After graduation, she married a Tufts instructor, Frank W. Durkee, class of 1888, who served as chair of the Department of Chemistry for nearly 25 years. Henrietta Durkee was born and lived most of her life in the house which was known as the Brown-Durkee House, located at 38 Professors Row. After her death, the house became the Faculty Club, and was demolished in 1983 to make way for the Mayer Campus Center.